First Archer

Image

When I started to get back into sewing and started looking at blogs, one of the first patterns that caught my eye was Grainline Studio’s Archer shirt pattern. I love all of the different versions I’ve seen popping up on the web and with the sew-a-long on Jen’s blog, it was a piece of cake to put together. The only thing that I changed was the pocket size – they seemed too big on the pattern so I measured some pockets on similar store bought shirts that I have and cut them quite a bit smaller. I like how they turned out, but I think maybe next time I will play with different angles.

Image

The fabric is a yellow Kaufman chambray that I thought would be a little less quilting-weight. It would be nice if the shirt draped a bit better, but that’s what you get for ordering fabric online! I do wish there were better fabric stores in the DC area. The best  thing about this shirt/pattern is that it looks great dressed up…

 

Image

…Or dressed down! I think I may need to attempt a swayback adjustment on my next Archer (yes, I am planning some more…;) ), because my scoliosis makes my back extra curvy and there’s quite a bit of poofy fabric back there.

 

Image

Seriously though, if you sew and you haven’t tried this pattern yet, DO IT! I’m not sure I would have understood everything with the pattern alone – this was my first time making a button up shirt, so lots of new techniques for me. With the sew-a-long on the Grainline blog though, I really think most people could make it with no problem.

Advertisements

Welcome!

Hello and welcome to Hecho con hilo!

My name is Kristin and I’ve been crafting ever since I can remember, from sewing and cross stitching to quilting and knitting. I reluctantly took a break from most of it when I went to college and on to grad school, but now I’m done with all of that and have been reunited with my sewing machine and crafty supplies!

I’ve been lurking in the blogging community for a while, recently started posting my projects on Kollabora (awesome site, check it out!) and decided that it would be easier to keep track of things and maybe even make some blogger friends if I got a blog myself!

I have several projects that I’ve made in the past couple of months, so I’ll share them one at a time, starting with the first thing I made on my new (to me) sewing machine, a Bernina 830 Record:

Image

Pardon the mess in the background – I have since found a better place to take my pictures!

This is made from Vogue 8251, View C in a size 12. I believe the pattern is out of print now. I got it and the heart jersey (from Mood Fabrics) before college so it had been hanging around my parents’ house for a while. The front looks pretty straightforward, but look at the fun back details!

Image

I had a lot of trouble getting this to lay somewhat flat. I had never sewn on jersey before and didn’t have any trouble at the seams, but those hems were a nightmare and really stretched out. I ended up closing up the back a bit more by hand and tacking them together in the middle so that the right side will stay mostly facing out.

Image

I didn’t have quite enough fabric so I had to improvise and cut the shirt short and add a band at the bottom to lengthen it some more. Added bonus: no stretched out hem on the bottom!

It’s not the best thing I’ve ever made, but I figure it’s not bad for my first attempt at sewing jersey!

Next up: a finished knitting project!